A big image and a view of Wanlockhead from Lowther Hill. The original is 273 megapixels in size (approximately 29.5k pixels wide and 9.5k pixels tall) and it's a composite of about 20 images taken through a telephoto lens. Here I've made progressive crops. The village is about 2 miles away from the camera.
Approximately 100 hours of work went into this painting. but I'm happy with the result as it prints very well. This framed print is about 12 inches by 36 inches and I'm also making a gallery wrap (stretched and varnished canvas on wooden bars) at 42 inches x 14 inches.
Continuing my witterings about photography related stuff, I've been trying out Cyanotype printing, one of several methods of making chemical prints from contact negatives.
Here's a roughly A3 sized cyanotype print I made from a shot I took in Moffat's old kirkyard. It's a simple matter of making up a solution, painting it onto some ordinary paper and allowing it to dry, before exposing it with sunlight or any UV source while sat under the negative. The next set of chemicals I'll buy is for a silver process called Van Dyke 'Brown' (because it makes brown prints obviously), and that's the process that the term 'sepia' print originated from.
From Southerness, the Solway divides Scotland and England. The hills of the English Lake District can be seen rising on the horizon to the left, with the lights of the towns of Silloth, Maryport and Workington (with its skyglow) in Cumbria.
I've been enjoying colouring some very old black and white photographs. It's been a fun exercise using a cheap (£50) Wacom graphics tablet and pen along with Adobe Photoshop, researching their real life appearances, attempting to restore sharpness and detail in a life-like manner, and extending the canvas outside the crop of the original image so as to look more pleasing to my eye. Johnny Cash was the toughest, the original image was too blurry through movement to be used successfully so I had to do a lot of painting and use my own hand instead of Johnny's own. I took a lot of liberty with this one because I also wanted to remove the distracting figure in the background, open his eyes, pattern his shirt and replace the headstock on the guitar.